CITY OF SEATTLE
SALARY: $24.60 – $26.14 Hourly
LOCATION: Various – Seattle area, Washington
JOB TYPE: Classified Civil Service Regular, Part-Time
DEPARTMENT: Seattle Parks & Recreation Department
BARGAINING UNIT: PSIE, Local 242 – Laborers
CLOSING DATE 01/25/22 04:00 PM Pacific Time
APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH A CURRENT, FULL 5-YEAR DRIVER’S ABSTRACT TO BE CONSIDERED. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED WITHOUT ABSTRACTS WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE.
Please note that there are part-time and full time positions available. Various Day, Weekend and Evening positions are available.
Applicants may also be considered for our Laborer Temporary Pool.
General Laborers are assigned to a variety of work crews, in a variety of locations. Examples of crews, locations, and duties include: Grounds Maintenance/Horticulture, assisting with maintenance of parks throughout the City; work on a roving crew under supervision; on a garbage packer truck; or on static assignment.
Positions are expected to safely perform all aspects of grounds maintenance duties which include:
- Comfort Station Cleaning – Using pressure washer and chemicals to clean and disinfect restrooms on a preset route.
- Work outdoors and mow, line trim lawns using hand or small horsepower mowers line
trimmers and edger’s.
- Water and weed lawns, shrubs, and flower beds.
- Collect litter and empty trash receptacles.
- Clear brush and gather leaves. . May assist in other gardening and grounds maintenance work, including picnic shelter maintenance, specialized gardening tasks, play area maintenance and ball field preparation.
- Use pressure washers.
- Heavy lifting required.
Minimum Qualifications: Ability to perform general laboring/manual work, be in good physical condition, and be able to work with hand and power tools is required.
You will be most successful in this job if you have:
- One year experience performing general laborer, landscape maintenance or horticulture work.
- The ability to work effectively as a team member in a diverse work force.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Good judgment, problem solving skills and safety conscious.
- The ability and willingness to work and communicate in a diverse workforce and community.
- The ability to work with a variety of hand and small power tools, small horsepower mowers and edges, backpack blowers.
- The ability to make minor adjustments and repairs to equipment.
- An acceptable driving record.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Frequently required to lift objects weighing 50 pounds. May occasionally be required to lift objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Occasionally requires handling or working with toxic/hazardous substances.
- Required to work outdoors in all types of weather. . May be required to work with other City and County agencies doing homeless encampment clean up.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements:
- Current, valid Driver’s License.
- Use of a respirator may be necessary.
- Flagger card may be required.
- Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of position depending on department/section assignment.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
If you are unable to apply on-line you may submit a paper application by the closing date to our office.
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT: Seattle Municipal Tower 700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500 Seattle, WA 98104
Who May Apply: This position is open to all candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The Department encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, veterans and those with diverse life experiences.
Accommodations for people with disabilities are provided on request.
The City is a Drug Free Workplace.
Laborer Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Do you have at least one year experience in landscape maintenance, horticulture or general labor work?
* 2. Are you willing to work outdoors under all types of weather conditions?
*3. Are you able to show proof of a valid Washington State Driver’s License?
* 4. Are you interested in being considered for a temporary seasonal Laborer position?
*5. Can you work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays?
* 6. Did you attach a current complete driver’s abstract with your application? (If you are a current City of Seattle employee who already drives for the city, choose N/A.)
* Required Question