Established in 1974, the International Examiner (IE) is the oldest and largest nonprofit, pan-Asian Pacific American publication in the Northwest. Named after the historic and thriving multi-ethnic International District (ID) of Seattle, the IE aspires to be a credible catalyst for building an inspiring, connected, well-respected, and socially conscious Asian Pacific American (APA) community.
Our mission is to promote critical thinking, dialogue, and action by providing timely, accurate, and culturally sensitive coverage of relevant APA matters.
We are a multi-media informational, educational, arts, culture, and heritage organization. We produce a twice-monthly newspaper and daily-updated website. The IE also provides learning opportunities for APA youth, professionals and community members.
Our goals are to:
- Be a reliable source of information for Asian Pacific American communities about important issues and events;
- Be a voice for distinct Asian Pacific American views and perspectives;
- Provide employment opportunities and experience for Asian Pacific American writers, photographers, artists and advertising representatives;
- Promote a better understanding about and among our diverse Asian Pacific American communities;
- To serve as an educational resource about the Asian Pacific American communities;
- To maintain the highest professional standards of journalistic excellence in news content and production.
» Published twice-monthly: the first and third Wednesday of each month.
» Readership: 20,000+
» Circulation: distributed free to 360+ locations across Greater Seattle and mailed to subscribers.
» The International Examiner is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization governed by a volunteer board of directors. Donations are tax deductible (Tax ID # 91-1131892).
Tel: (206) 624-3925
Fax: (206) 624-3046
Editorial: [email protected]
General: [email protected]
Advertising: [email protected]
Invoices: [email protected]
Mail: 409 Maynard Ave. S. #203, Seattle, WA 98104
We welcome letters to the editor and unsolicited manuscripts. We reserve the right to edit for space and grammar. Please mail materials (include a self-addressed, stamped envelope) or email (MS Word attachment) for receipt at least one week prior to publication.
We thank the following foundations for their support of our work in 2021
Arts and culture coverage in the IE has been made possible by a grant from 4Culture.
We are working together with South Seattle Emerald and Real Change in a partnership funded by the Seattle Foundation.
Coverage of issues affecting the historical and cultural preservation of Chinatown-International District has been made possible by a grant from Historic South Downtown. Historic South Downtown also supported the IE in 2020 with a COVID-19 emergency grant.
Thank you to the Borealis Foundation, Racial Equity in Journalism Fund, for supporting general operating costs at the International Examiner.