Staff | Assistant Director of Development, Alumni Relations | Full Time | 2021-2022
Position Type: Development
Location: All School
Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Job Functions)
- Responsible for conceptualizing, managing, and evaluating existing events and education programs such as reunions, alumni gatherings, athletic scrimmages, and Alumni Board activities, with the assistance of a special events coordinator. Recommends improvements to existing programs and develops new programs to engage a broad range of alumni involvement and support. Creates a level of rapport with all alumni, respecting varying interests ,backgrounds, and needs.
- Responsible for all non-fundraising communication with alumni: coordinates production and distribution of informational and event-related communications; acts as editor and contributor to the semi-annual Lakeside ; drafts content and maintains the Lakeside School alumni web pages, as well as alumni social media accounts and alumni networking platform.
- Builds a culture of inclusivity and broad participation. This includes recruiting, training, and supporting volunteers in execution of local and regional events and activities; strategizing and implementing the class reunion program; and utilizing volunteer support for event planning and attendance promotion. Actively staffs the Alumni Board and all other alumni committees or boards to represent our current community demographics working in support of the Alumni Relations mission.
- Ensures all Alumni Relations events are supportive of fundraising activities and goals, drawing alumni from different backgrounds, experiences, and interests. Assists at fundraising events; captures and records pertinent information about alumni and prospective donors. Networks with local and national peer schools to enhance programs.
- Manages the Alumni Relations budget and delegates assignments to the special events coordinator. Hires and directs internal and external service providers such as caterers, maintenance crews, and other vendors. Updates database and prepares reports.
- Fields alumni-related inquiries.
- Works with the Director of Development to set attainable goals and expectations for alumni involvement, participation, and attendance at events. Tracks involvement and attendance using available software applications and database.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Impeccable judgment, diplomacy, and strong customer service orientation. This includes a demonstrated ability to communicate, engage and build rapport with a diverse alumni community.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple events and tasks.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to carry out projects independently and to work as part of a team.
- Must be detail and accuracy oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Must exhibit and have the ability to maintain a pleasant and effective working relationship with colleagues, students, parents, alumni and volunteers.Patient, collaborative, and positive in spirit.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality.
- Must be able to support and promote the mission of Lakeside School.
- Must demonstrate cultural awareness. This includes the ability to understand different perspectives; experience interacting respectfully with cultures other than one’s own; and the ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with people who have different cultural frameworks.
- Facility with Microsoft Office applications; strong working knowledge of databases.
- Candidates must satisfactorily complete two criminal history background checks.
Education and Experience
- Liberal arts degree, or equivalent; Lakeside alumni are preferred.
- Three years’ experience in development or public relations.
- Comfort learning new technologies and adapting to new systems and processes. Knowledge of the DonorPerfect development software system a plus.
This position requires frequent weekend and evening work including local and regional travel.
- While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, walk and stand; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms and carry office related supplies and equipment.
- Ability to walk from upper school to lower school campus (about 3 long blocks away).
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds overhead.
- Standing/sitting for long period of time during event days which exceed eight hours.
- Potential exposure to dust.
- Exposure to outside weather conditions such as rain, snow, wind, and fog.
At Lakeside we are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community. To learn more about our professional development and mentoring programs, benefits, diversity and inclusion, and opportunities for involvement in non-academic programs, please visit our Careers page on the Lakeside School website. (Do not email. Please apply here: https://www.lakesideschool.org/about-us/careers, and click “View and apply for available jobs”)