Invites Applications for the Position of:
Public Relations Specialist – Council
Apply online at http://www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
King County is committed to equity and diversity in the workplace. In addition, the county is committed to recruiting and maintaining a quality workforce that shares our guiding principles: collaborative, service-oriented, results-focused, accountable, innovative, professional and fair and just.
OPENING DATE/TIME: 07/10/19 12:00 AM (GMT -8:00)
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 07/24/19 11:59 PM (GMT -8:00)
SALARY: $70,688.00 – $95,068.00 Annually
LOCATION: King County Courthouse – 516 3rd Ave, Seattle
JOB TYPE: Appointed
DEPARTMENT: KCC – King County Council
JOB NUMBER: 2019-10211
The Public Relations Specialist must be a detail-oriented, customer-focused, and self-motivated individual who works well with other team members to convey public policy and legislative actions to the public and constituents of King County. The successful candidate must possess the necessary technical background skills and be a good team player. They will pursue their tasks with energy and drive, and utilize effective time management skills, multitasking, and be willing to attend to other projects as required.
King County Council is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment. The Council encourages people of all backgrounds, cultures, and religions to apply, including veterans, people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities. We believe a diverse workforce is a strong workforce.
King County is becoming a global leader whose continued excellence and diverse population is a driving force in the Pacific Northwest. As the legislative branch of county government, the King County Council represents nine geographical regions of the county, sets policies, enacts laws, and adopts budgets that guide an array of services.
- Layout & design visual communications for the Council including postcards, printed newsletters, handouts, posters and email newsletters using Adobe programs.
- Update & maintain Legislative Branch websites using the county’s proprietary web content, management software (Sitecore), as well as html, after completing training.
- Develop creative (design, content, hashtags) for social media posts and manage editorial calendar.
- Take photographs at Council events using a digital single lens reflex camera.
- Use Photoshop for editing of photographs.
- May write copy or assist with writing media releases for the Council or Councilmembers.
- May assist with coordinating public events for the Council or Councilmembers.
- May participate in the development and execution of communications strategies and action plans for the Council and Councilmembers.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a legislative environment, communicating promotional and educational information to the public on public policy and legislative actions with a proven track record facilitating decisions and successfully navigating information in a political environment as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, initiative, and good judgment.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skill in using HTML, CSS, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS Word (all software on a PC platform).
- Proven experience working in code view on web related software, including a web content management system; creating email newsletters; having basic photography skills using a digital single lens reflex camera; and working with printing companies.
- Display strong project management skills and the ability work independently with minimal supervision. Occasionally may work under deadline pressure, juggling multiple projects with competing timelines.
- Be willing to work on other projects as assigned.
This position is open to all qualified candidates. Applications will be screened for qualifications and completion of ALL required materials and forms. The most competitive applicants may be contacted for additional steps in the selection process.
Forms and Materials Required:
- A cover letter • Resume
- King County application
- Completed supplemental questions
- Three examples of your graphic design work that you designed using Adobe programs (prefer pdf format).
Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the required information in the application. Cover letters and resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. Applications and/or supplemental question responses that state “see my resume” are considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity to join County government, please contact Tracy Calderon at 206-477-0979 or [email protected]
Note: Online applications are preferred. However, if you cannot apply online, go to www.kingcounty.gov/jobs for other options.
If you need an accommodation in the recruitment process or an alternate format of this announcement, please inquire directly with the contact listed on the job announcement or the department’s Human Resources Service Delivery Manager.
|Public Relations Specialist – Council Supplemental Questionnaire|
|*||1.||Please state any academic qualifications or certificates you possess that are relevant to this position, including the granting institution and year.(Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer)|
|*||2.||How many years’ experience do you have working at a professional level in a production environment? Please describe your experience and typical products.(Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer)|
|*||3.||Please rate your skill level for each of these: HTML (include version), CSS, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS Word. (All software on a PC platform). (Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer)|
|*||4.||Please briefly describe your experience updating and maintaining web pages or websites, including software used. (Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer)|
|*||5.||Please briefly describe your experience producing publications, including type (e.g. brochures, newsletters) and software used. (Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer)|
|*||6.||Please briefly describe your experience producing publications, including type (e.g. brochures, newsletters) and software used. (Please limit your response to 250 words or fewer)|
|*||7.||Please upload three examples of your graphic design work that you designed using Adobe programs (prefer pdf format).|
|* Required Question|