Title: Marketing Manager
Reports to: Director of Events & Outreach
Full time, Exempt
Since 1987, Seattle Arts & Lectures (SAL) has cultivated transformative experiences through story and language with readers and writers of all generations. SAL fulfills its mission through educational, public, and community programming, in person and online. Our public literary events bring the most talented and thought-provoking writers of our times to speak about and read their work. Our youth programs include Writers in the Schools (WITS) and the Seattle Youth Poet Laureate (YPL) program. WITS places local, professional writers in classroom residencies to inspire K-12 students in discovering the power of their creative voices as they develop lifelong writing skills. Our YPL program elevates the powerful voices of local youth poets committed to community engagement, education, and equity in our region.
SAL plays a unique role in our community by using the literary arts to invest in essential community conversations. We offer thoughtfully curated experiences through programs that are intergenerational in nature, bolstering both emerging and established literary artists, and inviting change and new perspectives in our audience. We believe these activities are essential to continuously and courageously revitalize equity, justice, and belonging.
SAL is currently a predominantly white-led organization, and we are committed to actively working to dismantle white supremacy culture and institutional racism. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture and are committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access in all areas of our work and workplace culture. SAL is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals from all cultures and communities are warmly encouraged to apply. We believe that having a board of directors, staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and other historically underrepresented and marginalized groups.
Strong candidates will bring a diverse set of skills, characteristics, and experiences, both professional and lived. SAL strives to mitigate inherent biases that influence hiring practices by focusing on a holistic view of potential candidates and understanding that no single candidate will offer every desired skill and characteristic. The following offers an aspirational view of the ideal candidate profile, and we encourage applications from candidates with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds.
Working in partnership with the Director of Events & Outreach, the Marketing Manager implements SAL’s marketing, advertising, communications, and engagement efforts to increase the visibility and impact of the organization, our mission, and our programs. Reporting to the Director of Events & Outreach, the Marketing Manager works primarily with the Public Programs team, which includes the Patron Services Manager and the Public Programs Associate. The Public Programs team drives the production, outreach, and sales for all ticketed events, as well as engagement around our free community-based programs. The Marketing Manager will help to drive earned income of ticketed programs, as well as awareness and appreciation of our Youth Programs (Writers in the Schools and the Seattle Youth Poet Laureate program) and our free programs.
INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & ACCESS:
The Marketing Manager actively participates in SAL’s ongoing efforts to further an organizational culture that supports and reinforces our inclusion, diversity, equity, & access goals. Our 2020-24 Strategic Plan and SAL’s Equity Accountability Report are available on the SAL website under “About.” This commitment and understanding should be demonstrated throughout the performance of the Marketing Manager’s job responsibilities and staff activities.
Marketing & Advertising (35%)
- Maintain and cultivate media sponsorship relationships; procure contracts, in-kind forms, and ensure the fulfillment of contract specifications.
- Coordinate the design, production, and timely delivery of all ads to media.
- Implement and continually seek out creative and cost-effective opportunities for marketing and advertising and collect and analyze data to continually improve quality and effectiveness of marketing initiatives.
- Analyze conversion and retention data from SAL’s CRM database and email marketing platform to maximize ticket revenue.
- Lead the design and production of all Public Programs print pieces in collaboration with graphic designers, which currently includes our annual brochure, 2-3 annual postcards, and our event programs.
- Develop ads for social media and Google Ads and track against objectives.
- Manage and update SAL’s TRG Database and respond to list-trade requests.
- Connect, engage with, and learn from other marketing practitioners in the local arts community by attending monthly Market the Arts meetings and other marketing trainings as needed.
Communications & Public Relations (35%)
- Produce engaging, fun, well-written, and timely social media content for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and supervise social media interaction between audiences and SAL.
- Generate marketing-related emails and bi-monthly SAL newsletters and implement effective segmentation strategies for email communications.
- Generate content for the SAL website and blog as needed.
- Work with the Director of Events & Outreach to survey members of the SAL community and collect and analyze responses throughout the year and at the end of the year.
- Generate, distribute, and archive well-written press releases as needed, and maintain an up-to-date list of current press contacts. Keep the press room part of the website up to date with current stories about SAL.
- Actively cultivate relationships with editors and reporters and pitch creative ideas for stories.
- Manage the SAL Super Fans influencer group.
- Manage the promotion of the podcast and seek out opportunities for cross-promotions, sponsorship, and advertising.
- Review all external-facing communications across the organization to ensure proper grammar, accuracy, and meeting of SAL’s visual and tonal brand.
- Provide excellent customer service to SAL stakeholders and effectively interface with outside constituents.
Community Engagement (15%)
- Attend and support the effective production of SAL’s public programs events.
- As needed, attend and support SAL cultivation events, WITS events, celebrations, and other community functions.
- Manage the rollout and promotion process of Summer Book Bingo in collaboration with the Events & Outreach Director and the Seattle Public Library.
- In collaboration with the Public Programs team, seek creative opportunities for deepening and expanding community engagement overall, focusing on specific subgroups identified by our strategic plan.
- Track spending, manage actuals-to-budget, and coordinate vendor payments and invoices.
- Participate in ongoing equity work and trainings, including a bi-monthly equity meeting and contributing to SAL’s bi-annual accountability reporting.
- Attend and contribute to departmental, organization-wide, and Board of Directors meetings as needed.
- Manage marketing interns.
- A passion for SAL’s mission, vision, values, and programs.
- A commitment to racial equity and social justice.
- At least three years of experience in a marketing role and a successful track record in implementing outreach and marketing programs, preferably in an arts/non-profit context.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Curiosity, a growth mindset, and love of continuous learning.
- Demonstrated flexibility, initiative, and ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience and comfort with data and data analysis.
- Exceptional customer service skills with excellent follow-through and commitment to protecting confidential information.
- Experience and comfort working with CRM databases (Salesforce—PatronManager preferred), MailChimp, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, SEO, Google Analytics, and Google Ads.
- Proficiency with InDesign, Photoshop, and design experience a plus.
- An awareness of the Seattle non-profit community, literary organizations, local media, and grassroots organizations a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and access to an automobile for driving to periodic off-site events a plus.
- Evening/weekend hours required (typically 3 to 5 times per month, September to June).
- Openness to a dog-friendly work space.
- Note: Seattle Arts & Lectures is a fully vaccinated office and all medically eligible new staff members will be asked to provide proof of vaccination.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This is a 40 hours/week full-time exempt position. Salary range is $56,000 – 62,000 per year (commensurate with experience and qualifications) with a robust benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off, including 20 vacation days/year starting your second year (15 days in year one) as well as sick, personal, and holidays.
- 100% of medical, vision, and dental insurance, long-term disability, and group life insurance covered, including an Employee Assistance Program.
- 403(b) retirement plan pre-tax distribution with a 3% gross salary match funded by SAL.
- Flex time as appropriate.
- Hybrid/remote schedule as appropriate with a laptop and support for some home office equipment.
- Support and budget for professional development and growth.
HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE:
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews in early March.
- We will begin in-person interviews in mid-March.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round of interviews with SAL’s departmental teams, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- Ideally, the selected candidate will start late March to early April.
- Send a resume and cover letter that tells us why this position is a good fit. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Submit applications electronically in one PDF document to [email protected]. The email subject line should be “SAL Marketing Manager.”
- Open until filled. For best consideration, please submit no later than February 23, 2022.
Contact Information for inquiries related to this position (email preferred):