METROPOLITAN KING COUNTY COUNCIL
Closes: June 26, 2019 at 11:59 pm
The Metropolitan King County Council is seeking an experienced, strategic thinking professional with excellent communication and writing skills to develop and implement media relations and external communication strategies for the King County Council. The person who fills this leadership position will develop and advance the Council’s media strategies including assisting in the development of media communication plans to promote programs or clarify issues, answer questions from the media and connect reporters with staff and council members and arranges news conferences and media access. This is an exciting opportunity to join the King County Council as a contributing member of its Communications Team.
The Communications Manager must be a detail-oriented, customer-focused, and self-motivated individual who works well with other team members to convey public policy and legislative actions to the public and constituents of King County. The successful candidate must possess professional knowledge in public relations, journalism, and marketing and be a good team player. This position is a salaried, at-will, overtime-exempt classification that reports to the Director of Communications.
King County Council is committed to upholding and promoting equal opportunity in employment. The Council encourages people of all backgrounds, cultures, and religions to apply, including veterans, people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities. We believe a diverse workforce is a strong workforce.
In order to be considered for this opportunity, applicants at a MINIMUM must
demonstrate skill and ability to:
• Create quality written communications about the Council and its work on behalf of
• Initiate and prepare news releases and media advisories to further public understanding of the Council and its programs; promote the Council’s view point, and clarify information.
• Pitch stories to the news media.
• Formulate and provide accurate, authoritative responses to media inquiries.
• Develop and post content on Council social media channels.
• Manage all internal and external communications for the Council and Councilmembers.
• Develop and implement communications strategies and action plans for the Council and Councilmembers.
• Form Partnerships with representative of the media community, King County agencies, and other entities served by the Council.
• May assist with coordinating public events for the Council or Councilmembers.
• Prepare the morning daily clips for an internal audience.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a legislative environment,
communicating promotional and educational information to the public on public policy and legislative actions with a proven track record facilitating decisions and successfully navigating information in a political environment as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills, initiative, and good judgment.
Competitive candidates will possess Bachelor’s Degree in communications, public relations, public administration or a related discipline, and at least eight years of professional level experience in a media or public relations environment, or any combination of education and/or experience that clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the scope of the job duties as described in the job description may also be considered.
• Skilled at conveying complex public policy issues in a way that enables and enhances
• Ability to build trust with representatives of the media, the general public, form and
maintain effective partnerships and collaborative working relationships, including elected
officials, county employees, other government agency staff and the public.
• Ability to think strategically about earned media and available tools.
• Thorough understanding of media production, communication and dissemination
techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral
and visual media.
• Demonstrated knowledge of communication strategies and challenges, the communities
served by the Council and community relations.
• Proven experience with content and layout for newsletters, news articles and press releases.
• Strong editor, skilled in AP style format.
• Team player who can effectively work across channels and workgroups to promote Council priorities.
• Display strong project management skills and the ability work independently with minimal
supervision and under deadline pressure, juggling multiple projects with competing
• A commitment to equity and social justice.
• Be willing to work on other projects as assigned.
COMPENSATION & HOW TO APPLY:
This position is open to all qualified candidates. The annual salary range for this position is
$90,236 – $121,357 and includes an innovative and award-winning employer with paid
medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as a generous vacation and leave program. To see all of King County’s benefits, please visit our website at:
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply and view a complete job announcement and apply, go to www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
A King County application is required to be considered for this opportunity. Interested
applicants must submit:
- a resume
- completed application
- and a letter of interest.
A complete job description can be downloaded by going to: Communications Manager
NOTE: Online applications are preferred; however if you are unable to apply online, go
to www.kingcounty.gov/jobs for other options.
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity to join King County government, please contact Tracy Calderon at 206-477-0979 or [email protected].