Mayor Greg Nickels and the City of Seattle Department of Planning and Development (DPD) released final Executive Recommendations from the Livable South Downtown Planning Study on Dec. 8. Recommendations include proposed Land Use Code amendments for areas within the South Downtown planning area: Pioneer Square, Chinatown/ International District, Little Saigon and other areas east of Interstate 5, and land around the stadiums and at the northern edge of the Greater Duwamish Manufacturing Industrial Center. Land use amendments will:
- Support the goals and policies of neighborhood plans and the Seattle Comprehensive Plan;
- Increase allowable heights and densities in certain areas of South Downtown;
- Encourage investment in jobs and residences;
- Create new programs to encourage rehabilitation of historic buildings, new open space, and affordable housing;
- Strengthen the pedestrian-orientation and design of future projects; and
- Require environmental performance of future construction projects.