- Position Description
About Parks and Recreation
Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) is a national leader and innovator in the services and programs we provide to our residents who enjoy our public spaces such as parks, community centers, specialty gardens and swimming pools. Our mission is to provide welcoming and safe opportunities to play, learn, contemplate, and build community and promote responsible stewardship of the land. We promote healthy people, a healthy environment, and strong communities. We strive to deliver excellent customer service to each visitor and participant. SPR is also deeply committed to advancing the City of Seattle’s Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) by working to end institutional and structural racism.
Six geographically based park district crews handle day-to-day cleaning, maintenance, and landscaping of our world-class park system. Parks Resources crews keep 465 Seattle parks clean, safe, and welcoming to all residents of Seattle.
We are recruiting Utility Laborers to help us maintain our beautiful parks system.
- Job Responsibilities
- Provide regularly scheduled cleaning and maintenance for various public outdoor facilities such as ball fields, comfort stations, tennis courts, picnic grounds, play areas, and wading pools.
- Mows, edges, and trims lawns using power hand and small riding mowers, edgers, and sweepers; waters and weeds lawns, shrubs, and flower beds; rakes and clears litter; saws, splits, and stacks wood; assists in other gardening and grounds maintenance work.
- Maintain synthetic turf.
- Perform general clean-up tasks, sweeping, raking, litter control, pressure washing specific park areas, and assisting with other gardening and ground maintenance work.
- Clean and maintain comfort stations.
- May be assigned to lead the work of Regular or Temporary Laborers.
- Work as part of a team.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned and lower-level duties of Laborer.
Six months of experience performing general laboring/manual work, good physical condition, and the ability to work with hand and power tools is required.
Successful candidates will have:
- One or more years of experience using a pressure washer.
- Two years’ experience performing general laboring/manual work using hand and power tools.
- One or more years of experience in the maintenance and preparation of ball fields.
- Some experience leading the work of laborers, temporary staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to undertake and complete a variety of tasks and assignments in a timely manner.
- Willingness to work and communicate in a culturally diverse workforce and community.
- Have an outstanding safety and attendance record.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Frequently required to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds. May occasionally be required to lift objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Occasionally requires handling or working with toxic/hazardous substances.
- Required to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Will be required to work with other City and County agencies doing homeless encampment clean up as needed.
License, Certification, and Other Requirements
- First Aid Certificate.
- A current, valid Driver’s License or equivalent mobility.
- Additional Information
- SPR’s Core Competencies are:
Accountability & Action: Holding yourself accountable for achieving goals, completing tasks, and delivering quality work. Demonstrating thoughtful initiative in actions and decision-making, and promoting high quality standards.
Equity and Inclusion: Supporting the goals of the Race and Social Justice Initiative and the City’s commitment to workforce equity.
Communication: Sharing and exchanging information and ideas with people in a variety of ways to help them understand and remember the information.
Service: An ongoing commitment to base decisions and actions on the needs and priorities of the City.
Teamwork: Participating as an engaged member of a team to achieve group goals. Effectively working with internal and external people to complete tasks and achieve work group goals.
- The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City’s website at:
Questions:*01Do you have at least six months of experience performing general laboring or manual work?
*02Do you have experience working with hand and power tools?
*03Are you able to work outdoors, in all types of weather?
*04Do you have experience leading crews in maintenance activities?
*05Do you have a Washington State driver’s license, or evidence of equivalent mobility?
- City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104