CLOSING DATE: Saturday, June 1st, 2019 at 5:00 PM (Priority Deadline)
Tiny Trees Preschool gives children a quality education and a joyful, nature rich childhood: one full of play, exploration and wonder. By creating joyful, outdoor classrooms in public parks throughout Seattle and King County, Tiny Trees makes preschool and nature accessible. Eliminating the cost of building, renovating and maintaining a child care facility allows us to invest in what really matters: hiring and supporting a diverse team of
great teachers. Tiny Trees is an official partner of Seattle Parks and Recreation; King County Parks and Recreation and Burien Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services. Most Seattle locations are providers for the Seattle Preschool Program – Pathway, which provides free tuition at Tiny Trees for children in low income households.
Tiny Trees opened 7 locations in September 2016 & 2017 at Camp Long (West Seattle), Carkeek Park (North Seattle), Jefferson Park (SE Seattle) & John C Little Park (SE Seattle), SAM Olympic Sculpture Park (Downtown Seattle), Cougar Mountain (Renton/Bellevue) and Big Finn Hill (Kirkland/Bothell). Three new locations opened in September 2018 at Beer Sheva Park (Rainier Beach/Columbia City/Renton), Seahurst Park (Burien/White Center/SW Seattle), and Five Mile Lake (Auburn/Federal Way/Puyallup/E Tacoma). Find more information at TinyTrees.org.
As a Finance Manager, you will:
Lead the work to bring financial management and accounting in-house from an external bookkeeper. Manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment, collaborating closely with our executive director, education director, administrative manager, and admissions and family services manager. Duties will include:
● Develop and maintain financial processes and documentation that allow the organization to make sound decisions that work for our multi-sited organization that’s about to start its fourth school year.
● Implement systems for processing, tracking, and reporting financial information in a timely manner.
● Execute billing, receivables, payables, cash receipts, cash disbursements, and general ledger functions.
● Generate monthly financial statements(and others as needed) in a timely manner in order to provide leaders with information needed to manage the organization effectively and align financial management in service of the organization’s mission.
● Present monthly financial information to the Board Finance committee and provide staff support as requested.
● Ensure account reconciliations and journal entries are completed.
● Prepare schedules for financial review/annual audit and 990 filing and assist with special projects.
● Work with external accounting firm to complete annual review/annual audit and 990.
● Communicate technical financial information effectively, orally and in writing, to stakeholders with a broad range of familiarity with financial terminology.
● Ensure that the organization is in compliance with regulations by aligning with best practices, financial operations, chart of accounts, values definition, budgeting, reporting, and internal controls.
● Lead and assist with design, development, implementation, maintenance and modification of budget (including cash flow projections for multiple years).
● Analyze financial information and prepare dashboard for the management and Board of Directors to discuss financial health of the organization.
● Work with program staff to create financial statements to meet the requirements of various grant reports.
● Participate in professional development opportunities to enhance skills and knowledge around financial-related matters.
Skills & Qualifications:
● Three years or more of accounting experience in a nonprofit environment.
● Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field (or equivalent work experience).
● Proficiency in QuickBooks (Desktop and Online) and MS Excel.
● Working knowledge of financial accounting systems that interface with QuickBooks including bill.com, Expensify, CuraCubby.
● Working knowledge of accounting principles, fund accounting, GAAP, nonprofit accounting, laws, tax codes, government regulations, and best practices.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a high degree of integrity, and cultural versatility.
● Effectively manages time and projects, demonstrated by meeting or exceeding deadlines and sufficiently anticipating task duration.
● Demonstrates self-direction by staying organized and following through on projects and tasks.
● Actively learns on the job through exposure to new challenges, training opportunities, and learning from others.
● Independently gathers information to perform financial analysis and explain complex concepts to unfamiliar audiences.
● Aptitude for solving problems with creativity and resourcefulness.
● Effective oral and written communication skills.
● Demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail and maintain confidentiality.
● Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
● Passion for and commitment to the mission of Tiny Trees.
● Background check required.
Job Title: Finance Manager
▪ Reports to the Executive Director.
▪ This is an exempt, .8 FTE position (32 hours per week, Monday-Friday).
▪ Location: This position is based out of the Impact HUB at 220 2nd Avenue in Pioneer Square.
Salary: Salary range is $47,000 to $50,000 annually.
Benefits: The following benefits will be pro-rated for the .8 position and split between bi-weekly pay periods:
▪ Health insurance: employer provided Gold level health care plan from Kaiser Permanente.
▪ Retirement benefit: 3.75% annual salary contribution starting after one year of employment.
▪ Paid training: $350 Professional development stipend.
▪ Discounts on outdoor clothing.
▪ 80 hours paid time off (PTO) plus 10 holidays and some school closure days (total paid time off a yr: 5 weeks).
▪ Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for assistance with issues that interfere with your health, well-being, and productivity at home or at work.
Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and 3 references through our website:
http://www.tinytrees.org/about/careers. Closing date: Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5 P.M. This position requires successful reference and background checks.
Commitment to Equity
Tiny Trees Preschool welcomes all children, all families and all staff members and works every day to create an emotionally and physically safe space for every child, family member, and staff member while challenging our community to think critically about bias and systemic oppression. Tiny Trees believes that having a community of individuals with diverse backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where all members of the Tiny Trees community thrive. Tiny Trees is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates and honors diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, race, color, physical or developmental ability or ethnic origin in the hiring of its personnel. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, male-identifying educators, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, non-binary applicants and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.