On Monday night, Governor Jay Inslee and state legislators compromised on the final remaining disagreements in the framework of the state’s budget last Friday. The final operating budget, SSB 6052, was approved by the House Monday evening by a vote of 90-8. Additional details can be found here.
Among the highlights of the budget deal:
- $1.3 billion – Basic education funding for K-3 class size reduction, all-day kindergarten, maintenance, supplies, and operating costs (MSOC). This investment will meet our obligations under HB 2776 portion of the McCleary decision.
- $284 million – Fully honors the state and higher education employee compensation agreements – 3% cost-of-living-adjustment in the first year, 1.8% COLA in the second year.
- $157 million – Teacher compensation in-line with the state employee amount.
- $159 million – Higher education investments to reduce tuition.
- $159 million – Investments to expand access, increase quality, and improve outcomes for kids in early learning programs.
- $100 million – New investments to fix problems in the mental health system.
- $31 million – Additional investments for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).