The following is an announcement from the International Special Review District.
The annual election for the International Special Review District Board was held by mail, with ballots tabulated on the evening of Tuesday, November 30. Five positions were up for election, due to the postponement of the election in 2020.
The results are as follows:
- Ryan Gilbert won Position #1 for a Business owner, Property owner or Employee
- Ming Zhang won Position #2 for Resident, Tenant or Community Participant.
- Michael Le won Position #3 for a Business owner, Property owner or Employee*.
- Andy Yip won Position #4 for Resident, Tenant or Community Participant.
- Nella Kwan won Position #5 for At-Large*.
The newly elected candidates start their terms in December.
The special character of the Chinatown International District is recognized and protected by city ordinance. In 1973, the International Special Review District Board was created to preserve, protect and enhance the cultural, economic and historical qualities of the District. The Board is composed of seven members – five elected by the Chinatown International District community and two appointed by the Mayor. Board member terms are typically for two years, and members may serve up to two consecutive terms.
*Due to the postponement of the 2020 election, terms #3 and #5 will be only one year-long to retain staggered term limits.
The following Board members served through November 2021: Lizzy Baskerville, Matt Chan (Vice-Chair), M. Faye Hong, Matt Fujimoto (Chair), Russ Williams, Tanya Woo, and Andy Yip. Outgoing Board members are: Ms. Woo and Messrs. Chan, Hong, Williams.