Various – Seattle area, WA
Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Seattle Parks & Recreation Department
2/22/2022 4:00 PM Pacific
- Position Description
- Seattle Parks and Recreation (SPR) is a national leader and innovator in the services and programs we provide to all who enjoy our parks, community centers, athletic facilities, swimming and wading pools, golf courses, playgrounds, and miles of boulevards and trails. Our mission is to provide welcoming and safe opportunities to play, learn, contemplate, and build community and promote responsible stewardship of the land. We promote healthy people, a healthy environment, and strong communities. We strive to deliver excellent customer service to each visitor and participant. SPR is also deeply committed to advancing the City of Seattle’s Race and Social Justice Initiative (RSJI) by working to end institutional and structural racism.
- Seattle Parks and Recreation, Parks and Environment Division is seeking Maintenance Laborers to work with a team of professionals whose vision is to be innovative and responsive within our
geographically based Park Districts, Natural Areas, turf renovations, and to handle day-to-day cleaning, maintenance, and landscaping of our world-class park system.Our Parks and Environment Division maintains over 25 miles of boulevards and 465 parks, including 26 community centers, 8 indoor swimming pools, 2 outdoor (summer) swimming pools, 4 environmental education centers, 2 small craft centers, 4 golf courses, and an outdoor stadium.
- Job Responsibilities
- Provide regular and ongoing care, preparation, and maintenance for various sized parks (over 20 acres) containing over four distinct outdoor recreational features i.e. ball fields, tennis courts, fountains, picnic grounds, play areas, wading pools, natural areas, turf maintenance, etc.
- Supervise, plan, train and assist the work of staff and volunteers.
- Assist skilled trades professionals in their work.
- Mow, edge, and maintain lawns using riding lawn mowers, assigned tractors, edgers, and sweepers.
- Drive pickup trucks and other motorized vehicles/equipment.
- Lead and/or performs plant/tool delivery, storage and disposal materials/plants and equipment.
- Use small hand tools (shovels, rakes, brooms, etc) and operate several types of power equipment (push and brush mowers, weed eaters, edgers, blowers/sweepers, power wheelbarrow, etc).
- Work independently and as part of a team being self-directed and taking the initiative with recurring assignments.
- May plan, or assist in planning for materials, equipment, and staffing required for work assignments or areas.
- Maintain routine records and reports.
- Provide excellent customer service to park users, department staff, other government agencies and partners.
- Support homeless encampment clean-up efforts working with internal and external partners.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned
You will be successful in this role if you have:
One year of experience performing general laboring/manual work involving the construction, installation, repair, and maintenance of public facilities (Combinations of education, training and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability).
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Experience working with trades, contractors and/or other government agencies.
- Experience performing maintenance and landscape renovation construction activities and basic knowledge of horticulture.
- Experience leading and directing crews, temporary staff, and volunteers.
- At least two years of experience performing general laborer work using hand and power tools.
- At least one year of experience maintaining and preparing ball fields.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both in writing and orally.
- Willingness to work and communicate in a culturally diverse workforce and community.
- Washington State (WSDA) Pesticide Applicators License.
- Additional Information
- Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Required to stand, walk, or bend for extended periods of time.
- Frequently required to lift objects up to 50 pounds. May occasionally be required to lift objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Occasionally requires handling or working with toxic/hazardous substances.
- Work may be performed in confined spaces and at heights up to 130 feet.
- Required to work outdoors in all types of weather.
License, Certification and Other Requirements:
- Washington State driver’s license.
- Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of position depending on department/section assignment.
- The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.More information about employee benefits is available on the City’s website at:
Do you have at least one year of experience performing general laboring/manual work involving the construction, installation, repair, and maintenance of public facilities (Combinations of education, training and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability)?
Are you able to work outdoors, in all types of weather?
Do you have a Washington State driver’s license, or evidence of equivalent mobility?
Maintenance Laborers perform shift work with variable start times; some shifts are required to start as early as 4:30AM in the morning daily. Are you able to report to work at this hour?
- City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104